The Wandering Fay: Nendoroid Fanbook project is an independent initiative suggested by pus2meong back then on 2011. This project basically aims to create a community-contributed photo book containing wonderful Nendoroid photos by fans of Nendoroid.
Initially, the project was only available to Nendoroid fans who live in Indonesia, but it has recently open to international fans as well.
Here are the details:
Some of the posts below are taken from the currently-under-maintenance Nendonesia forum as well as the project’s Facebook page. The forum post was originally only available in Bahasa Indonesia, but it was translated into English by cybeast.
(personal experience by pus2meong XD)
Before I joined on a certain famous Indonesian forum, Nendoroid collectors only discuss with each other and rarely take photos of their Nendoroid, because they were afraid to break their Nendoroid when they took them outside.
However, it had changed ever since I came to that forum, as more and more folks become accustomed to take their Nendoroid for outdoor photo sessions, even though they know the risk of breaking their Nendoroids’ parts.
I do have many photos that has not been published yet, but unfortunately, almost half of them were lost due to my broken flashdisk which I used as a photos backup storage.
Nendonesia Photo Contests also become one of the cause for this project. There were more than 50 contestants took part in the photocon – which is quite big for this scale – and those contests were, perhaps, the only photo contests ever held for action figure on internet forum in Indonesia.
Another important factor that pushed me to suggest this project is … well, coming from FIGMANIA‘s Facebook page. I unintentionally saw a female member’s photo there, which shows her figma collection photo book that she made herself.
So, with those lengthy stuff in my mind, I challenged myself with the question: “Why don’t we make a Nendoroid photobook by ourselves?”
- Backup awesome Nendoroid photos, both as physical media as well as digital one – so that we would not ever go saying “Nooooooo!!” when we lost our Nendoroid photos due to some unexpected accidents.
- Sharing the experience of taking Nendoroid photos between Nendoroid fans – isn’t it nice to see Nendoroid photos taken by a Nendo-fans in Bali’s Kuta beach?
- Even a small group of Nendoroid fans are able to do what the “big parties” can do, I want to prove that ideal – well, we should be able to make our own Nendoroid photo album like the Nendoroid Complete File, don’t you think so?
Nope, not at all. This is a non-profit project … but I welcome all donation, if any. 😄
The spirit in this project is “from fans, to fans, and by fans”. ^^
The photobook will be published as an e-book (PDF) as well as a Print on Demand service on Lulu.com.
Submission Tips and Guidelines
- It is encouraged that photos should be taken outdoor, or somewhere outside your own room. If you decided to take it indoor, make sure that it does not look cramped.
- The best moment for outdoor photo-shoots is before 10AM, or 3AM until sun sets. It is not recommended to take photos around 11AM – 1PM, as the sun is directly above your head, thus Nendoroid’s face will become dark.
- You can submit photo(s) of more than one Nendoroid, but make sure that at least one photo of the Nendoroid is using the original parts and accessories (no swapping with other Nendoroids’ parts).
- The recommended photo resolution is 10MP (3648 x 2736). However, if your camera resolution is lower than 10MP, then submit the best resolution your camera can produce.
- Pocket (point-and-shoot) camera users: please mind your ISO settings, i.e set the ISO level as low as possible.
- The default photo orientation is portrait (vertical) for one page in the photobook, but if you want to submit a 2-page spread landscape photo, make sure that the important objects in the photo is not located in the center.
- Before submitting your photo, please double-check and preview it in your computer. It is often that the photos look good on the camera’s LCD, but they look blurry/noisy when viewed on the computer’s (bigger) monitor.
- Please attach your logo/watermark as a separate file – preferably large resolution PNG. Do not apply it on your photo(s).
- You may take photos of several Nendoroids in a frame. It is better if the Nendoroids are coming from the same series (e.g K-ON!, Vocaloids, BRS, etc), but if you are unable to get the ‘feeling’, then feel free to mix the Nendoroids from various series.
- The deadline is August 7, 2012
How to Submit
Send it to slamet.riyanto[at]nekoroid.com
Subject: The Wandering Fay Project – Photo Submission
– your name or nickname
– site/blog URL (if applicable)
– photo title
– photo spot/location
– Nendoroid name
All of the submitted photos will be scored and judged. Top 4 photos will get the following “prizes”:
1st place: Nendoroid Nymph
2nd ~ 4th place: Nendoroid Petite from Vocaloid set (random)
The scoring criteria is based on:
- Theme: The wandering fairy – think of your Nendoroid as a fairy who goes around in their own adventure.
- Technique: Angle, interesting photo spots, etc.
- Random stuff: The judge might find interesting or unique (a.k.a out of the box) stuff in your photo.
Unfortunately, for top 4 photo submitters who live outside Indonesia, the shipping fee for the “prizes” will be paid by the winner, if they decide to claim the “prizes”, that is. 😄
Well, what do you think, Nendonesian? Thinking of participating? ^^