The Wandering Fay: Nendoroid Fanbook project is an independent initiative suggested by pus2meong back then on 2011. This project basically aims to create a community-contributed photo book containing wonderful Nendoroid photos by fans of Nendoroid.
Initially, the project was only available to Nendoroid fans who live in Indonesia, but it has recently open to international fans as well.
Here are the details:
Some of the posts below are taken from the currently-under-maintenance Nendonesia forum as well as the project’s Facebook page. The forum post was originally only available in Bahasa Indonesia, but it was translated into English by cybeast.
(personal experience by pus2meong XD)
Before I joined on a certain famous Indonesian forum, Nendoroid collectors only discuss with each other and rarely take photos of their Nendoroid, because they were afraid to break their Nendoroid when they took them outside.
However, it had changed ever since I came to that forum, as more and more folks become accustomed to take their Nendoroid for outdoor photo sessions, even though they know the risk of breaking their Nendoroids’ parts.
I do have many photos that has not been published yet, but unfortunately, almost half of them were lost due to my broken flashdisk which I used as a photos backup storage.
Nendonesia Photo Contests also become one of the cause for this project. There were more than 50 contestants took part in the photocon – which is quite big for this scale – and those contests were, perhaps, the only photo contests ever held for action figure on internet forum in Indonesia.
Another important factor that pushed me to suggest this project is … well, coming from FIGMANIA‘s Facebook page. I unintentionally saw a female member’s photo there, which shows her figma collection photo book that she made herself.
So, with those lengthy stuff in my mind, I challenged myself with the question: “Why don’t we make a Nendoroid photobook by ourselves?”
- Backup awesome Nendoroid photos, both as physical media as well as digital one – so that we would not ever go saying “Nooooooo!!” when we lost our Nendoroid photos due to some unexpected accidents.
- Sharing the experience of taking Nendoroid photos between Nendoroid fans – isn’t it nice to see Nendoroid photos taken by a Nendo-fans in Bali’s Kuta beach?
- Even a small group of Nendoroid fans are able to do what the “big parties” can do, I want to prove that ideal – well, we should be able to make our own Nendoroid photo album like the Nendoroid Complete File, don’t you think so?
Nope, not at all. This is a non-profit project … but I welcome all donation, if any. XD
The spirit in this project is “from fans, to fans, and by fans”. ^^
The photobook will be published as an e-book (PDF) as well as a Print on Demand service on Lulu.com.
Submission Tips and Guidelines
- It is encouraged that photos should be taken outdoor, or somewhere outside your own room. If you decided to take it indoor, make sure that it does not look cramped.
- The best moment for outdoor photo-shoots is before 10AM, or 3AM until sun sets. It is not recommended to take photos around 11AM – 1PM, as the sun is directly above your head, thus Nendoroid’s face will become dark.
- You can submit photo(s) of more than one Nendoroid, but make sure that at least one photo of the Nendoroid is using the original parts and accessories (no swapping with other Nendoroids’ parts).
- The recommended photo resolution is 10MP (3648 x 2736). However, if your camera resolution is lower than 10MP, then submit the best resolution your camera can produce.
- Pocket (point-and-shoot) camera users: please mind your ISO settings, i.e set the ISO level as low as possible.
- The default photo orientation is portrait (vertical) for one page in the photobook, but if you want to submit a 2-page spread landscape photo, make sure that the important objects in the photo is not located in the center.
- Before submitting your photo, please double-check and preview it in your computer. It is often that the photos look good on the camera’s LCD, but they look blurry/noisy when viewed on the computer’s (bigger) monitor.
- Please attach your logo/watermark as a separate file – preferably large resolution PNG. Do not apply it on your photo(s).
- You may take photos of several Nendoroids in a frame. It is better if the Nendoroids are coming from the same series (e.g K-ON!, Vocaloids, BRS, etc), but if you are unable to get the ‘feeling’, then feel free to mix the Nendoroids from various series.
- The deadline is August 7, 2012
How to Submit
Send it to slamet.riyanto[at]nekoroid.com
Subject: The Wandering Fay Project – Photo Submission
– your name or nickname
– site/blog URL (if applicable)
– photo title
– photo spot/location
– Nendoroid name
All of the submitted photos will be scored and judged. Top 4 photos will get the following “prizes”:
1st place: Nendoroid Nymph
2nd ~ 4th place: Nendoroid Petite from Vocaloid set (random)
The scoring criteria is based on:
- Theme: The wandering fairy – think of your Nendoroid as a fairy who goes around in their own adventure.
- Technique: Angle, interesting photo spots, etc.
- Random stuff: The judge might find interesting or unique (a.k.a out of the box) stuff in your photo.
Unfortunately, for top 4 photo submitters who live outside Indonesia, the shipping fee for the “prizes” will be paid by the winner, if they decide to claim the “prizes”, that is. XD
Well, what do you think, Nendonesian? Thinking of participating? ^^
I love this idea! Hopefully I can send something in.
Hope you don’t mind me asking a few questions?
1. Are photos of Nendoroid Petit allowed, or is this Nendoroid only?
2. Would it be alright to submit previously taken photos (that have been submitted elsewhere –mfc, flickr), or must it be newly taken photos?
Thank you for your interest in the project.
The answers to your questions:
1. Yes, Nendoroid Petite photos are allowed.
2. The project encourages new photos, but it is OK to submit previously taken photos, as long as you own the copyright/ownership of the photos.
Thanks for the answer! 😀
Alright then, if I have a free time this weekend I’ll try to shoot something. Thanks again!
You’re welcome … and I look forward to see your Nendoroid photos there. 😀
Will our names/nicknames be listed for credit (unless one wants to be anonymous)? In addition to that, I would like to suggest that we are allowed to submit our site/blog URLs to let members of the community seek each other out.
Up to how many photos are we allowed to submit? Not aiming for the prizes, I just want to contribute. That, and I also have a ton of photos. It would be really hard to just choose 1 or 2.
As far as I know, your name/nickname will be displayed just below your photo(s). Feel free to submit your site/blog URL as well – I’ll update the post.
There is no apparent limit for photo submissions. I personally submit 5 photos. XD
If you got Website/blog and you want to be listed too, just send it the link along with your email when you’re submitting yours.
If you also got watermark/logo/icon, send it in separate file, we will display it in separate location
There’s not limitation on how much photos you need to submit. But if at the end of the deadline we got an overwhelming participants, we’ll select two best photos from each participant.
gotta join!! love the concept and the idea!! >w:D
Glad to see your excitement. Looking forward to your participation. ^^
I’m interested in participating and was wondering:
Do you have to create a photo title for each photo you submit?
If the photos you submit are from the same scene, I guess you only need to create the title once. XD
Haha, thanks so much!
[…] the initiator behind The Wandering Fay: Nendoroid Photobook (or Fanbook) project has posted about the pre-order availability on the Facebook discussion group […]
[…] time to open a photo submission, we decided to select a few photos from Nendonesia Photocon #1 and The Wandering Fay photobook to be put on the Photo Wall. The photos The photos The photos The photos The photo Best photo for […]
[…] The Wandering Fay: Nendoroid Fan Photobook project received a strong demand when the samples were displayed during AFAID 2012. Many visitors were admiring the photos and constantly asking about the availability of the photobook. XD […]
[…] Pus2meong has posted a notice in the Facebook discussion group that the e-book version of the photobook is finally ready to be […]
[…] few folks were also interested to the Wandering Fay photobook, but we did not prepare anything to do the sales, so I simply gave them the business cards and let […]
[…] komunitas ini sudah membuat proyek album foto Nendoroid yang diprakarsai oleh Slamet Riyanto yaitu The Wandering Fay: Nendoroid Fan Photobook. Hebatnya lagi, album foto tersebut juga diminati oleh fans Nendoroid dari Jerman dan Taiwan. […]
[…] If you have known about the first installment of The Wandering Fay photobook, then you should have had a general idea of what it is. You can find more about The Wandering Fay project here. […]
[…] might have known about the first volume of The Wandering Fay photobook – the background, the purpose, everything. Yes, most of them will still apply in The […]
Hi there I am so happy I found your blog page, I really
found you by accident, while I was looking on Digg for something else,
Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos
for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to
read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read
more, Please do keep up the great work.
Then I started digging into some reviews of the S4 on the internet and hearing a lot of
pretty wild stuff. Review sites are great for finding out what an e book is about and how others who have read the book feel about it.
It makes no difference to the performance, the principle
being that the color of the lens blocks greens and browns,
which are the most common foliage and rough colors, and sharpens the color of the ball against the now dull background, making it much easier to spot.
You made some decent points there. I checked on the internet for
more info about the issue and found most peoplle will goo along with your views on this
It is not better to select high-heeled shoe, if you are an obese.
The world is really shrinking and ideas are being shared around the globe at a rapid pace.
Moccasin UGG slippers are quite popular among the men.
You just need to know what they are credible and then submitting them to incorrectly list your
site. Second thing you should know where you seo agencies stand.
Submission of mobile sites to mobile search engine
optimization. The SEO professionals of the necessary ideas.
Anyone can play, here are some free tools but they must also be the best approach in generating free traffic to website.